What’s the difference between fun and funny?
We use both words as adjectives. However, a funny thing is humorous and makes us laugh, while a fun thing is enjoyable and makes us have a good time.
- A person can be both fun and funny.
If my friend, Bob, is a funny guy, then he tells many jokes. He says silly things that make me smile. He is a clown.
If Bob is a fun guy, then I always have a good time when I am with him. Time passes quickly when we are together. He isn’t boring.
- A movie can be fun or funny.
A comedy is a funny movie. It makes me laugh. An action movie can be fun if it is exciting and makes time pass quickly even if it never makes me laugh.
- In contrast, a place is usually fun, not funny.
Disneyland is fun. It has many rides and interesting things to do and take pictures of. I love going there.
- If I call a place funny, there’s probably something strange about it.
My apartment is funny. The bathtub is in the kitchen. When I flush the toilet, the lights go out.
- If I say “That’s funny. I can’t find my wallet,” I mean it’s strange because I just had it a minute ago.
Take a little quiz. After each example, decide if you need fun or funny & say why. Choose between “haha,” “enjoyable,” or “strange.” (Answers below)
- Where did Liz go? That’s ____________________. I just saw her, but now she disappeared.
- That TV show is really __________________. It always makes me laugh so hard.
- What a ___________________ video game! I could play it 24/7.
- I love soccer. It’s so ________________.
- Gus tells such __________________ jokes. He’s a real clown.
- What a ____________________ car! It seems too small to hold anything. You could never fit a family in there.
- That was a _______________ party. The people were friendly and the food and music were great.
(Answers: funny: strange / funny: haha / fun: enjoyable / fun: enjoyable / funny: haha / funny: strange / fun: enjoyable)